akabana: (GUNM icon by <lj user="jubilli">)
It's done. I hardened my heart and sacrificed my not-quite-virginal credit card to the altars of online bookstores. To be more precise, I finally, realizing their rapidly approaching out-of-print status, ordered all ten Sandman collections in paperback. And got them for a few euros less than the price of Absolute Sandman vol.1 in Finland - ten books for the price of one, so to speak. I simply didn't want to get into the situation where my only options would be to buy the oversized and overpriced Absolute volumes or to hunt for overpriced out-of-print used copies if I ever wanted to own the whole Sandman series (not counting the later additions like Dream Hunters).

It's a funny feeling you get when you've just spent almost 120 euros in books. *giggles, then jeers with a queer squint* But hey, the price per book came to something like 11.7 euros, when the retail price here is closer to 20. So I actually saved a lot of money while it may look like I splurged.

And my copy of Tales of Pain and Wonder has apparently shipped, but not yet arrived. I'm getting somewhat impatient here.

Speaking of impatience, I almost ran out of the said unvirtue when my SDLX edit kept mysteriously crashing on me yesterday. Since it almost invariably died only when I tried to confirm some specific segments in some specific files, I felt the problem was file-related rather than program-related and contacted the SDL Finland office where I had subcontracted the work (all right, it's the office previously referred to as "office B" or something, but it's really too much bother) and we used the best part of this morning trying to work it out.

It turned out that the problem wasn't file-related, but luckily my counterpart in the SDL office found a solution posted on one freelance translator discussion forum. It was indeed a bug, although easily fixable by fiddling with the settings. The only thing that bugs me is that I should have found it myself... I only tried to look into SDL's own solution database, but since they're revamping the system, the database was unavailable. And did I tell you I just updated the program and the problem occurred only afterwards? And that you can't report the bugs to the SDL technical team unless you have a paid support contract? And, based on the dates of the forum discussion, the bug only appeared after the aforesaid update package was launched? And for the time being at least, it isn't listed as one of the "known issues" of the said release.

For a while I felt like a fisherman watching his boat sink. If the this tabletop suddenly died on me, I could load the translation software on the laptop and carry on working. But if the software starts acting up on me, I'm reduced to twiddling my thumbs until I get it fixed. I'm really, really glad it's over.
akabana: (Default)
Decided to write this in between translating sentences, since today my translation software/computer seems not to like me, since it takes an unreasonable amount of time to look for anything in the translation memory - that or the memory I'm using is simply so huge that it simply can't be processed any faster.

Um, well, that didn't make much sense to anyone who's not familiar with computer-assisted translation and translation tools... Here's a Wikipedia article if you're interested, I'm not very good at explaining things.

Anyway, the Halloween party was great fun and my costume was a success. I cross-dressed in a dark blue pinstripe jacket, gray woolen trousers, a black corduroy shirt, a gray flower-patterned vest (which was actually a ladies' vest, so I was double-cross-dressing...) and a white lace ruffle. The ensemble was quite dandy-ish to say the least, but it worked amazingly well. I honestly managed to look like a guy, even if a rather pretty and somewhat bishi one ^_^. But boy, was the suit hot! Wearing a wool-blend jacket and woolen trousers plus a vest plus a long-sleeved shirt in a smallish flat with a big bunch of people in it wasn't the smartest thing I've done. I began to feel sorry for all the men in dress-parties. At least ladies' evening dresses usually involve fewer layers and more bare flesh - i.e. better ventilation!

And the funny thing was that one of our friends, a male one, that is, turned up dressed up as a lady! And since he has long hair of his own, it was a bloody convincing drag, much better than mine. And btw, he complained at one point that being a woman is a hard job, especially the high heels. Heh. How about that.

Back to work. If I just could get this triply-accursed thing to process even a bit faster...

Profile

akabana: (Default)
akabana

March 2011

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789 101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 25th, 2017 02:56 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios